Wednesday, May 31, 2017

5-1-17

I have been having a much better time this week. I've been working on controlling inappropriate thoughts my whole mission. I realized that the same methods can be used to control negative or otherwise harmful thoughts as well. So I've been practicing positive thinking, and I haven't been as stressed out. I've also learned that when you are calm and optimistic you don't block out the spirit. So if you trust the Lord and remain cheerful you actually receive MORE revelation than if you become negative and anxious. That being said, controlling negative thinking can be really difficult when you have a lot of stressful elements to manage. 

I've also learned something about causing your own stress. I've noticed lately that my companions who are not stressed out about the same things I am are my same companions who do not set as many goals for themselves. I don't know if I can explain this very well without sounding self righteous. I think I've learned a principle. Life is not very difficult or stressful if you never push yourself to be better. However, you don't get as much better. Also you are the one that has to push yourself, you can't always rely on others, or life circumstances to push you. Before my mission I didn't really understand the principles of goal setting and planning. I was almost never stressed out. I became stressed only when I had a deadline or was required to have some responsibility. I realized that on my mission, most of my stress comes from struggling to meet goals that I set. 

I don't necessarily HAVE to read the Book of Mormon in one transfer, develop the attribute of charity, or learn all I can about the doctrine of Christ, but I WANT to. I'm motivated by a belief that I will be a better person the more I strive to obtain spiritual knowledge, develop the attributes of Christ, and prepare for the future effectively. A lot of times I will be stressed about some goal I've set for myself and I'll be met with a sentiment along the lines of "Sister Atchley you don't HAVE to read Preach My Gospel cover to cover to be a good missionary." That's true, but I believe that I will be better if I do than I will if I don't.

These scriptures have been coming to my mind lately: 

D&C107:
99 Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence.
100 He that is slothful shall not be counted worthy to stand, and he that learns not his duty and shows himself not approved shall not be counted worthy to stand. Even so. Amen.

D&C58:
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.
29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

I know that I do a lot of things wrong, and that I'm very far from perfect. My goal in life is to be able to stand before the Lord and honestly say that it was not for lack of trying. 

This week was good. We had a (re)birthday party with Sister Anderson and Patrick. I turned 3 years old in the church on Wednesday. Patrick is going to make us stickers. I'm so excited. I wish we could teach him. We had interviews with President Clark. I love President Clark. He always says the most inspired things that begin to make sense the next day. Sister Clark is also really awesome. She wants to help me live my life better. Sister Clark has also got my back about fashion. She tells me what I look good it. Apparently despite, my best efforts to change, I look best in clothes that are a bit more punk. I try to be flowery and cute all the time, but I'm too thug I guess. That's why everyone puts dramatic makeup on me. 

They had some clothes swap stuff going on at interviews and I saw some of Sister Baker's clothes. Sad. #WhereisSisterBaker? ): 

So that's my week! 
Oh yeah. 
And I started "My Plan". It's all like YOUR MISSION IS ALMOST OVER, YOU'RE ALMOST AN RM. GET READY TO GOOOOO HOOOOOOOME LOL! It's brutal. 

Here's some quotes: 

"I'm one of the local Lagunatics" -Some guy at Laguna Beach 

"We used to have an air force, but we threw it out the window." -Elder Gunn
"Twice." - Elder Houghtalen 

"I'm a one trick pony." -me 
"I'm glad you recognize you're a pony and not a full size horse." -Elder Ball

"You guys are sassy." -Sister Gage
"It's residual hatred." -Elder Houghtalen
"Residual from what?" -me 
"My past two companionship." -Elder Houghtalen

"Marvin J Ashton? You guys know him? He was an apostle. I think he has a cool rapper name." -Elder Gunn

"Do you think you'll get in to BYU? What are your grades?" -Sister Clark
"Uh... my GPA is a 4.8" -me 
"I'VE NEVER MET ANYONE WITH A 4.8! Would you say you're an over achiever?" -Sister Clark
"no..."-me 
"What would you call that then? A little uncommitted? Slight failure? How tall are you?" -Sister Clark
"5.0" -me 
"Yep a bit of an under achiever." -Sister Clark 

"If there's something you never have to worry about it's not being able to accomplish anything you put your mind to. You've very bright." -President Clark

"You and I have a problem where we can become very serious to the point of taking ourselves seriously. You can never take yourself too seriously." -President Clark

"This music is too ghetto for me." -Sister Lewis
"You're not so ghetto Sister Lewis?" -me 
"No! I got the tattoos and I got the black guy, but I can't do the rap music!" -Sister Lewis

"Red lipstick makes me look too dark." -Sister Lewis
"Try dark red?" -me 
"Then I look too chola!" -Sister Lewis

"What are some false doctrine's that y'all run into?" -me 
"People think we have magical... underwear..." -Anna Sedgwick 
"Well I don't know about you guys, but mine are....." -Jake Flora

My dream calling is to teach youth ok. I'm so sad that I will never get to teach youth because you're not allowed to aspire to a particular calling.

Here's a reading assignment:

The Inconvenient Messiah
Elder & Sister Holland 


Love Y'all!

 There is this
 I feel this rose is above average
 GELATO!!!!!1


 Sea Birds
 Elder Gunn burying
 Capt. Maroni
 An Exotic plate

 Posers
 Sub to America

No comments:

Post a Comment