Friday, May 5, 2017

4/3/17

This week I was being super hysterical about how apparently I can't get away with not thinking about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life until after I go home from my mission. I really didn't want to think about it. Unfortunately goal setting, planning, and preparedness are principles of the gospel. I don't know why I thought I would ever be able to fly under the radar. 

Heavenly Father Chastised me.  I was chastened a lot actually. I was first reminded that I can control if I'm stressed or not. I can't control external sources of stress, but I can control if I become hysterical about them. I also realized that continually focusing on my problems and talking about them constantly actually does not help me solve them it just works me up about it. In other words venting is less effective. I was throwing the 20th temper tantrum to Heavenly Father about how I don't know how do do the stuff that he's asking me to do and blah blah blah. The spirit brought this to my mind:

Mosiah 23:
26 Now it came to pass that the brethren of Alma fled from their fields, and gathered themselves together in the city of Helam; and they were much frightened because of the appearance of the Lamanites.

27 But Alma went forth and stood among them, and exhorted them that they should not be frightened, but that they should remember the Lord their God and he would deliver them.

28 Therefore they hushed their fears, and began to cry unto the Lord that he would soften the hearts of the Lamanites, that they would spare them, and their wives, and their children.

It stood out to me that the Lamanites were upset because of things happening in their lives, but a correct understanding of the Lord allowed them to hush their own fears.
This comes from Elder Bednar's talk "Therefore They Hushed Their Fears" from last April. I was also reminded of the scripture where Christ says "be not afraid only believe." and many others. I realized that being afraid shows weak faith in Christ and his plan. All of this was confirmed at conference when I was thrown down on twice in a row by Elder Rasband and Elder Clayton. So now I'm pleasantly calm about  my future and what will happen. 

I also am incredibly thankful for the priesthood and for having good friends that hold the priesthood. I honestly probably couldn't life my life without the priesthood. I don't know how I did it before. I love how much Heavenly Father is willing to help through priesthood blessings to make things additionally clear and to settle your mind. 

We got a referral this week from some members who were impressed by our teaching abilities. They specifically felt confident in us when we extended a bold invitation for them to participate in missionary work. We are working to contact the referral. It's a lady who teaches piano, and apparently she teaching piano to 10 or something LDS families. She's been to all of their primary programs and performances in church. We're excited to meet her. Overall this is a good week!

General conference was amazing! Oh yeah we got transfer calls. Good bye Elder Williams. See you at the departing dinner! 

Elder Lemon is also leaving the district but staying in the zone. We're getting Elder Ball as our new district leader. So random! However, I'm fortunately staying with my super stable and awesome homie Sister Gage. Sorry Sister Gage. She will be here for 9 months. I just need her in my life because she's so calm and levelheaded and I'm spiraling out of control don't you know. 

It should be fun! 

Here's some quotes: 

"I'm just stressed about life." -me 
"you mean like mission life or like.... " -Elder Gunn
"She probably means like the going home and getting a job and going to school and stuff part." -Elder Williams
"Oh yeah! You guys are OLD!!" -Elder Gunn

"I'm not going to council you because that's not allowed. I'm just going to give you some... spiritual help... that's allowed!" -Elder Gunn

"That would be funny if the blessing just said BYU Provo amen." -Elder Williams 

"You can get answers at conference." -Elder Gunn
"Watch someone is gong to be like... I just felt like saying... if you've ever thought about attending BYU you should do it. Anyway back to repentance" -Elder Williams
"Thanks Uchtdorf." -Elder Gunn

"Dang you're GPA is worse than Chain's!" -Elder Gunn

"Honestly it was kinda weird to come on my mission and not see dirty billboards everywhere." -Elder Houghtalen (He's from Vegas) 

"They don't have days about 90 in washington!!" -Elder Gunn 

"Just because Vegas is literally Hell doesn't mean it's not hot right now Elder Houghtalen!!" -Elder Gunn 

"she's like double jointed." -me 
"She's like POSESSED!" -Sister Gage

"oh weird! 2000 babies are going on their mission next year."-Sister Gage

"I haven't seen the force awakens." -me 
"WHAT!? YOU HAVEN'T!? Well aren't you so lucky it's religious come over and watch it." -Brother Tayco

"We'll have a two hour long game after dinner with the force awakens in the background." -Brother Tayco 

"Is this the table where the rebels are sitting?" -Sister Sedgewick
"you bet." -Brother McPhearson 
"Oh maybe I shouldn't sit here then." -me 
"DON'T WORRY SISTER ATCHLEY YOU FIT RIGHT IN" -Sister McPhearson 

"What no cone! You are a disgrace to everything!" -Lance (age 10)

"I like her just the way she is!" -Lance  

"please bless that the sister missionaries won't get transferred" -Lance

 "it's HOT in the CAR ELDER!!" -Elder Lemon
"DON'T CRY!" -Elder Houghtalen

"I don't do anything I just sit there and look malicious." -Elder Houghtalen

"What are you doing after the mission?" -me 
"uh... transfiguring." -Elder Vaipulu 

"Well guys it's been fun being your district leader but now I get the japs." -Elder Williams 

"Um I think I'd know if you were a loser!" -Sister Gage

Here's a reading assignment:

The Peril of Hidden Wedges

By Thomas S Monson


Love Y'all 
Sister Atchley

No comments:

Post a Comment