Friday, July 15, 2016

7/11/2016

We saw Carmen again this week. The first thing she told us was that she had mysteriously been drinking water for the last week and a half. (Since we visited her) It was super amazing because I've been praying every day for her to not have as strong of a desire to drink alcohol. Also she said we could come teach her about God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost. She always gets up in arms about people not mentioning all three because "They're all important and that's not right that we ignore the Holy Ghost." So anyway we picked up a new investigator.
One of our less actives has been mysteriously showing up to church lately. It's really cool because last time we met her she told us that it's impossible for her to feel the spirit and she was probably never going to come to church again. It's super exciting for us because obviously something has changed to allow her to have at least the desire to come unto Christ. Also her husband is somewhat interested in the church. We may be following up with that soon. It's really sad because each time she's been there we've sat with her so NO ONE COMES UP AND TALKS TO HER. Instead everyone comes up to us after she leaves and is like "So who was that lady you had at church today? Keep up the good work sisters!" If you think she's an investigator you should DEFINITELY go up and introduce yourselves. Y'all PLEASE introduce yourself to people that the missionaries bring to church. It's the right thing to do. #CTR
So our investigator, Pam Yokochi, got baptized on Saturday. She's pretty cool. She's the teacher one with the jungle bird, Magu, that took my leg off my second day in Mission Viejo. She was baptized at 8 and had her records removed at 18. That's not important though, what's important is that she was able to enter into the straight and narrow path. She made this decision suddenly and mysteriously after a comment made by her friend that was visiting from Texas. Basically we went over on Thursday and the presence of the missionaries prompted her friend to ask when she was planning on getting sealed to her husband. She said she couldn't because she had to be baptized first. Her friend asked her to get baptized while she was in town for the weekend. We got a call on Friday saying that Pam was getting baptized Saturday night. Pretty cool.

"Her white jumpsuit needs to be really tall because Pam is really tall." -Sister Baker
"No she isn't" -Elder Oler
"Yeah she is! She's like super tall!"-Me
"NO JUST EVERYONE IS TALL COMPARED TO YOU TWO!!" -Elder Oler
I guess what I'm getting at here is that a lot of "mysterious" things have happened to us this week. Rather, a lot of things that would be mysterious if we didn't understand Heavenly Father's plan for his children and somewhat of the way he works amongst the children of men have happened to us this week. It reminds me of the words of Amulek soon after he learns of the gospel:
Alma 10:5 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.

Also this:

Alma 12:
    9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
   10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

So basically if we soften our hearts and study diligently because we WANT to study not because it is required, we will become better at recognizing Heavenly Father's plan for us. This will happen until we know everything.
Hope I explained that well enough.
"neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking"

I learned something else cool today!
Alma29:
   1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

Alma is lamenting not being able to convert people as well as an angel. I always thought this was super random, but actually it's not because ALMA WAS CONVERTED BY AN ANGEL. It suddenly made sense to me and I totally understand where Alma is coming from because you have no Idea how many times I have written/thought/said "I just want to be like Whatcott." #BLW It says that in my PMG somewhere. Alma just want's to be like his missionaries too.

Y'all's reading assignment is Alma 12. If you've received your endowments, consider the temple as you're reading. If you have not, learn about the plan of salvation anyway because it's good.

Quotes:

"Are you sure these colors aren't girly?' -me
"Hey, it's Elder White so if it's girly he'll probably like it better." -Sister Baker

"I thought that was gonna be way cooler, but it was actually really lame." -Elder Center

"Hey sister Baker, what's up?" -Elder Dayton
"Nothin much just---" -Sister Baker
"OH HEY SISTER ATCHLEY!!!" -Elder Dayton

"How much did I eat." -Opal
"I wasn't paying to mind to you I was eatin myself..... well not literally eating myself but you get the idea...." -Agnes

"Hi we're tropical birds from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." -me
"My name is Magu." -Sister Baker

"That kid is coming over here." -Sister Baker
"Wanna get in the car?" -me
"SISTER ATCHLEY!" -Sister Baker

*prays for safety* "HOORAY NOW WE WON'T GET SHOT!" -me

"you mean Satan's guitar solo in heaven?" -us every day

"Putting laser in front of something makes it sound way cooler. Look, laser dentistry." -me
"need new teeth? PTCHOO lasers!" -Sister Baker
"Need new eyes? PTCHOO lasers!" -Me
"hairy legs? PTCHOO lasers!" -Sister Baker
"Bladder doesn't work right? PTCHOO lasers!" -Me

"my nose is bleeding." -Sister Baker
"maybe you need lasers." -Me

"I feel like the first time we met you straight judged me." -me
"I'm not used to looking down on people" -Elder Oler

"Sister Atchley look! I've been wearing a brown belt...... with black shoes...." -Elder Dayton
"All day?"-me
"Yeah...." -Elder Dayton
"how dare." -me

"I like these pictures because Jesus is straight cheesin it, which is kind of unusual." -Me

"Anyway he's obviously in our district because he has something to learn from us." -Me
"He better learn it fast before I learn it for him upside his head." -Sister Baker

Love Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment