Tuesday, August 30, 2016

8/29/2016

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 
There are now cinnamon Jolly Ranchers! They're the greatest thing ever!
So I finished another journal. I have a journal entry for every day of my mission so far. If you've met me before you can be impressed by that. 

This week was pretty good I guess. We had Zone Conference. President Clark didn't throw down and change everything like we expected him to. I was kind of disappointed not gonna lie. I don't want to be compelled in all things, but like I also tend to choose to not have the spirit of contention rather than to be bossy about particular things that I feel are less obedient/diligent than I would like to be. It's hard. I'm never quite sure what the balance is. I just know that comp unity is the most important part of missionary work, because the spirit can't be in situations when people who are working together aren't unified. 

D&C 6:32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you.

and also 

3Nephi 11:29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

but on the other hand

D&C 121:43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
 44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.

Basically I can't practice the difference between sharpness and sass so I choose to just not say anything which is probably a wrong choice too, but anyway y'all probably aren't getting anything out of this sorry. 

I had to double dinner it for the first time this week. I feel like when the missionaries came to teach us they sometimes had to double dinner. Sorry guys. You should have said something. 
So what had happened was: 
There's this guy who is in charge of our dinner calendar, but I think he doesn't like us. He always sasses us hardcore about us picking up our calendar on Monday. Of course when we went over on Monday and there was no calendar. So we called and texted him LIKE 50 TIMES and so did the Elders. However, he "didn't get any of our calls or texts." On Friday we assumed we had no dinner and went home and ate. As soon as we finished eating this guy calls us and is like "Sisters what the heck are you doing you're supposed to be at the LeSuers for dinner right now!!" so we were like "GOOD THING WE KNOW THAT BECAUSE OF OUR DINNER CALENDAR THAT WE DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE!!" and he was like "When I don't get the calendar out you have to call me and get me to do it Sisters this is a serious problem you can't miss dinners you'll lose member trust." 
We were having a really hard time being Christ like about the situation. Luckily the LeSuers were not upset with us and it was a pleasant dinner. 

We got new counselors in the mission presidency. One of them is super good at member missionary work. He said that while he was a bishop he learned that "All of the problems that ward council faces can be solved by missionary work." He shared a story about how this family's marriage was saved because the children invited some of their friends to take the lessons and the parents let missionaries teach them in their home. He said that this family was on the verge of divorce and they just stopped having problems. I was able to come up with a ton of reasons that is a true statement. 

I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with Sister Shumway this week and it was awesome. We were able to just work hard and get so much done. Nothing was huge and miraculous but we were able to experience the happiness that comes from just doing what Heavenly Father wants you to do. I wan't to be Sister Shumway's companion in Las Flores so bad. It would be great. 

Here's some quotes: 

"Wow you guys hauled buns. Oh! Sorry! I don't mean to be crude! Your poor ears!" -Sister Newberry 

"Hey Sister Atchley do you want some cheap pastels?" -Elder Dayton
"yeah are they good?" -me 
"no they're cheap!" -Elder Dayton 
"yeah, but do they work?" -me 
"PROBABLY NOT!" -Elder Dayton
"Cool I'm down." -me 

"No the zone leaders are gonna see me be trendy!" -me
"Hey sisters.... you're so trendy!" -Elder Radeke 
"Dang it!" -me 

"We always just call Elder Radeke 'the zone leaders' and Elder White 'white' it's awkward because Elder Radeke's companion isn't even a zone leader." -Sister Baker

"Isn't she SO CUTE!" -Sister Smith
"DON'T RESPOND TO THAT!!"-Me
"I'M NOT GONNA COMMENT ON THAT!! What do think I'm gonna say?!? Oh yeah she's SO cute!!" -Elder Radeke 

"I was thinking about my strengths the other day and I realized I'm really good at merging on the freeway. Not everyone can say that you know!" -Sister Baker

"Sisters! You are always smiling. It lifts my spirits!" -President Clark
#Starstruck 

"Twinkies are made of wheat, but that's not what you should be eating." -Elder Finlaysen 

"I... guess we're singing now." -Elder Natress

"Watermelon is a gentle fruit." -Elder White

"Oh wait! Why am I even standing in this line!?" -Elder Dayton standing in the desert line

"Thanks for not sitting in front of me." -me 
"OH NO SISTER ATCHLEY! Did I do that!?" -Elder Fuell
"No I was being sincere!" -me 

"You aren't taller than people very often are you?" -me 
"WHAT NO! I just don't stand up straight." -Elder Fife
"It's ok don't feel bad. I'm literally the shortest sister in the mission." -me 
"I feel that way sometimes." -Elder Fife
"Are you the shortest Elder in the zone?" -me 
"No it's Elder Anthony." -Elder Fife
"Oh duh of COURSE." -me 
"Holy Cow! I love Sister Atchley she's savage!" -Elder Radeke 

"THERE'S SHOE RACKS!!" -Elder Anthony 

"Come on Elder White you gotta be IN the picture not OF the picture." -Elder Richardson 

"Well missionary work fixes everything har har." -Bishop
"Don't just take my word for it when you can experience it for yourself." -Elder Center

"Do you think if I ask my district leader to help me identify ways I can improve he'll do it or nah?" -me 
"Yeah Elder Anthony? Definitely." -Sister Wimmer 

"Elder Anthony is going with Elder Capasso!" -Elder Radeke 
"WOOO I GET TO EAT WAFERS!" -Elder Anthony

"You're from Texas!? No way!!" -Elder Fife

"It only took one invitation for me to stop drinking tea forever." -me 
"You're a convert?!? What no way!!" -Elder Fife
"Hi My name is Sister Atchley have we met?" -me 

"I've been out for two months." -Elder Fife
"Wait what? No way!" -me 
"There's a fundamental lack of communication between the two of you." -Brother Nelson

"Sister Atchley I honestly couldn't think of a single thing. You're a great missionary and every single thing you say makes me feel the spirit so you're doing great." -Elder Anthony 
This is probably the hugest compliment I've ever gotten. 
Everyone thinks Elder Anthony is a hater and doesn't understand love, but I can tell he's one of the Elders that loves me the most out of all the Elders in the mission. I can tell because it's obvious that he respects me and he cares about the things that I learn. 

Here's a reading assignment. 
I was having trouble feeling the spirit and this touched my heart. 
Guided Safely Home by Marcus B Nash

Love Y'all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment