Monday, January 23, 2017

1/26/17

What's up guys? 

This week was awesome! 
We've been fulfilling our purpose all over the place and we've been doing it in the rain! 
It's been raining all week literally. On Friday and Sunday it rained so aggressively that the poor trees that are held captive in the desert of Irvine fell down. They don't have good roots. We were trapped in our apartment complex because of trees in the road. Pretty crazy. Good thing there was a nice man with a saw. He was prepared. 

So on Tuesday we were invited to present a spiritual thought at a stake wide youth activity. The catch was that afterwards we had to judge the cakes that they decorated. So basically they had all these cakes and random ingredients and they were put in teams and assigned a Book of Mormon story to depict on the cake. I have pictures but I don't know if I'll have time to send them. I'm trying to email quickly. Anyway after they were done Sister Call and I had to determine which story each cake was depicting. Whoever got the most right got to pick the winner. It was pretty fun. 

Out of all the missionaries and youth and youth leaders in the entire stake they chose us to give the spiritual thought and judge the competition. 

About 5 minutes after we get there this mom shows up and drops off her daughter and daughter's friend. She was like "blah blah blah make sure these girls don't sit by themselves and look at their phones blah blah anger anger" we were like "uuuuhh.... kk......" So about 5 seconds after the spiritual thought the girls came to us and said they were going to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later we decided nobody goes to the bathroom for that long and went to check on them. They were in there crying and having a really hard time. 

One of the girls is a recent convert. We were able to draw from our wealth of personal experience with how much it sucks to be a 13 year old girl and cheer them up a little. They ended up participating in the activity and having a great time. 

D&C 81: 5 Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.

We had zone conference this week. It was so good. We have an amazing mission presidency. President Gallund taught us that you love what you serve. It's doctrinal. So if you have having trouble loving someone try serving them. Also be careful what you serve. If you serve something that is not of eternal value you will love that thing and you will forget about things that are of eternal value. 

Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Mammon means stuff fun fact.  

We met Gary J Coleman. He's an emeritus general authority. He was using the restroom in the church while we were waiting for our appointment. Pretty coooool. #JustMissionaryStuff
Unfortunately Gary J Coleman showed up instead of Kaveh so we didn't get to teach him. Sad. I would rather have met Kaveh. He came to church though. If he has even 15 minutes to spare on Sunday he will come to sacrament meeting. He's so humble. Also I like him because he's always excited to see us. 


We taught the Jamisons. They did all their homework and read the pamphlet for the restoration and came with questions. Also they've been trying to have daily family and individual prayer and praying to know. They are better investigators than I. Commitments? #WhatAreThose 
Also they received their own revelation from the scriptures and that made them more confident in the Plan of Salvation lesson. Brother Jamison was super into it this time. We assigned them to read Alma 32 and Brother Jamison was said "You know we said we're trying to get to the believing part before we get baptized. This chapter talked about how belief turns into knowledge, but it seems like there's a step before which is hope. Is that right?" He got that from reading Alma 32:21 "And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." The spirit is so awesome because you can read literally any part of the scriptures and you will just learn what's relevant to your situation. They are the most amazing people in the whole world anyway. I love them. Sister Jamison talked about how her experience in college gave her this skewed perspective of the savior as like a peace activist so she needs to change that. 

It was an amazing lesson. Also Sister Call and I were super unified and we learned doctrine in the very moment that we needed it. 

Here's some Quotes from Sister Clark: 

"Realize who you are and give yourself the credit Heavenly Father does." -Sister Clark

"What you do does not stay in the confines of the California Irvine Mission." -Sister Clark

"Listen I have no priesthood power and I won't get it soon." -Sister Clark

"You have the cleanest apartment and the most thorough inspection sheet of anyone in the entire mission." -Sister Clark

Here's some other quotes: 

"Why is teenager so hard?" -Faith

"Elder Radeke you're in my top 5 zone leaders." -me 
"Wow that's pretty top, you must only have 6 zone leaders." -Elder Radeke
"Or I was just a rebellious punk at the beginning of my mission."-me 
"Or you've been that way your whole life, but so have I. That's probably why we get along so well." -Elder Radeke

"You have little wrists." -me 
"yeah!! Well!! I have little bones ok!?" -Elder Radeke

"Oh look two of my favorite people." -Elder Burk

"Oklahoma is like humble Texas." -Elder Tree 

"Somewhere in 3rd Nephi Christ says Ye all. THAT'S STRAIGHT UP Y'ALL!!" -Elder Tree

"Thank you for testimony! I understand!" -Elder Xu 

"My wife is beautiful ok? This is not like one of those situations where a dad is talking about how beautiful his baby looks, but it looks like a raisin." -President Gallund

"Ironic that all this is happening on the same day Donald Trump is being inaugurated" -Sister Call about all the fallen trees 

"Oh it's pusheen. Me and my friends draw this on everything." -Helena 

"Some girls love diamonds, some girls love cars, I just love to study." -Guiti 

"I mean I have some childlike qualities. I'd like to think. I mean it's not just stomping my feet." -Sister Jamison 

"That bunny is judging us. Get at me hoppers." -me 
*Sister Call Dies of Laughter* 

"The other sisters met you they said you were nice." -me 
"How do they know that I am nice?" -Joel 

Here's a reading assignment: 

The Arts and the Spirit of the Lord

Boyd K. Packer


A talk where Boyd K Packer is super sassy towards people who are artistic. 

Love Y'all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment